The AuSable Valley Central School is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student data and teacher and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law Section 2-d and its implementing regulations, the District informs the school community of the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record, including any student data maintained by the AuSable Valley Central School District.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of PII, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by New York State is available for public review at the following website http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/student-data-inventory or by writing to the Office of Information and Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 865 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to Privacy Complaint, Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234. Complaints may also be submitted using the form available at the following website http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/report-improper-disclosure. Complaints can also be filed with the schools Data Protection Officer by completing the districts complaint form and submitting it to the District Office located at 1273 Route 9N, Clintonville NY 12924.
Additional student data privacy information
The district has adopted a Data Protection Policy along with a Third Party Contract in accordance with Education Law Section 2-d. The policies of the district can be found by selecting each of the following links: Data Protection Policy & Third Party Contract.
This bill of rights is subject to change based on the regulations of the commissioner of education and the SED chief privacy officer, as well as emerging guidance documents from SED.
Additional information is also available on the following websites:
- Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC): newly established one-stop resource for education stakeholders to learn about data privacy. https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/about-us